Winter EscapesSee the Great Bear Rainforest that few tourists see with a winter escape
As autumn turns to winter, the rainy season sets in and many of the Great Bear Rainforest’s wild creatures find their solace elsewhere... the Grizzlies head up to dens deep in the high alpine snow, the Orcas disperse into the North Pacific to follow the salmon and many of our guides head south to Mexico or the Bahamas.
Over the winter months, Farewell Harbour Lodge becomes a different destination - it becomes a refuge for those seeking a peaceful solitude with a unique opportunity to witness the Great Bear Rainforest in a way that the majority of tourists will never see. From January to April we offer a winter escape for those who wish to experience a winter in the rainforest.
The weather can be unpredictable with long stretches of rain that often bring wild storms that sweep onto the coast from offshore Pacific waters. However, the sun always tends to poke its head out frequently enough to remind us it still exists! When the wind tires and the water becomes still, the silence is profound.
Farewell Harbour Lodge is well situated in a very protected maze of islands that affords us the opportunity to explore our local waters in a variety of conditions.
Our winter escapes are for those who are open to whatever Mother Nature offers up. Here are some of our winter escape options:
- Add a few layers, throw on a toque, some poagies , and head off on a guided exploration by sea-kayak.
- Find a deserted logging road and go on an epic guided ride on our state of the art mountain bikes.
- Head out in the boat with our guides and drop a line for some winter Chinook or local Rockfish or make a set for prawns and then let our chef prepare the freshest seafood feast you’ve ever eaten
- Sit by the huge picture windows in the lodge lounge by a roaring fire and watch the wind and rain sweep by.
- Join our staff for a boat ride over to U’Mista Cultural Centre for a truly world class experience in First Nations culture
- Join our staff for an interpretive forest walk
- Join our local yoga teacher for a yoga session in our Great Room
- Get a massage from a certified massage therapist
- Indulge in the wonderful meals and premium BC wines or beer on offer
- Sit with an excellent coffee and fresh baked pastries and catch up on the latest good reads on your Kindle or Kobo by the fire