Farewell Kitchen - Sweet potato cookiesAs Spring starts to arrive with its longer days, bird song and blossoming buds naturally the "Spring Clean" begins as we dust off the Winter with new hope. Well, we thought you might like a recipe to help get rid of some of those ingredients taking up space in your cupboard. Robyn, our Executive Chef, has come up with some quick and easy cookies that are a perfect snack for a hike, kayak trip, or even just to dunk into a steaming cup of tea.
Try them at home and tag us on social media @FarewellHarbour we would love to see your cookies from around the world! #farewellfood
You will need:
- 1 cup (200g) of cooked mashed sweet potato (cooled)
- 1 cup (120g) of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (120g) of whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp of mulling spices (cinnamon, ground cloves, ground anise)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (215g) of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (105g) of coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60g) dried dates/dark chocolate/sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (55g) chopped pecans/macadamia nuts
- ½ orange zested
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C or gas mark 5)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until thick and pale
- Carefully whisk in the oil, vanilla and sweet potato until combined
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together with a spatula until no flour remains
- Fold in the cranberries, nuts and orange zest
- Spoon the cookie dough, by the heaping tablespoonful, onto the baking sheets two inches apart
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and lightly golden
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely
-- By Robyn Paton
Past Blog Posts
May 1, 2021
Wildlife Guide - BearsWe put together a quick, easy guide to help you better understand what to expect when you go bear viewing with Farewell Harbour Lodge!
Apr 24, 2021
Farewell Kitchen - Paul's CioppinoWe uncovered a recipe from the past and had to share it with you! Enjoy with a crisp white wine in the sunshine!
Apr 19, 2021
Top Tips for Photography at Farewell HarbourWe are lucky to have some very talented friends, who also happen to be professional photographers! We asked them for some of their top tips!
Apr 10, 2021
Wildlife Guide - WhalesFind out more about whale watching in the Broughton Archipelago, from what you should bring with you to the best time of year to visit!
Mar 24, 2021
The Rest of the StoryThere are many stories that came together for Farewell Harbour Lodge to be where it is now. Ryne Brockway, co-owner and friend, tells us his.
Mar 11, 2021
Sweet Potato CookiesChef Robyn's easy and delicious sweet potato cookie recipe! Perfect for a boost of energy when out on the trails or just need a little pick me up.
Mar 2, 2021
Staying Jung on Berry IslandHave you ever taken a personality test? We talk about how MBTI is used to create better working relationships and strong connections.
Feb 25, 2021
Engage all your sensesThere are many ways in which we find escape. We look at how engaging all of your senses can help to switch off the outside pressures in a more mindful way.
Feb 11, 2021
A Love StoryTim tells us a Valentines Day story of how he and Kelli met and fell in love on this wild west coast.
Feb 2, 2021
The Forest Floor with MarlieOur rainforests are home to so much life! One of our guides, Marlie, helps us to notice the smaller things that are vital to its survival.
Jan 27, 2021
Going, going, SCONE!One of our guests' all time favourites! We get asked for this recipe more than any other, so here it is to enjoy from home.
Jan 17, 2021
A different perspectiveA wonderful way to see more of the vast landscape is by air! Read about one morning we took to the skies and experienced everything from mountain tops to sandy beaches.
Dec 21, 2020
Sea Kayaking with BeccaOne of our kayak guides, Becca, tells us why this is her favourite way to get even closer to nature and experience the Broughton Archipelago at its best.
Dec 18, 2020
Sointula - Place of Harmony on Malcolm IslandThings to do in Sointula! Full day excursions to Sointula and Malcolm Island. Pioneer history, whale rubbing beaches, historic lighthouse and more!
Nov 1, 2020
Differences between black bears and grizzliesA few things to look out for when bear viewing with our guides at Farewell Harbour. We look at some of the main differences between black bears and grizzlies.